Wednesday 25 January 2012

Your Wedding - Don't Stress If Things Go Wrong

 Photograph Courtesy of: Green Olive Wedding Photography

The eve of your Wedding Day...an enormously exciting day, maybe a little nerve wracking and potentially incredibly stressful!  The day before my wedding, the sun came out, it was a stunning English summer's day and I had a beautifully relaxing time with my bridesmaid.  We spent the afternoon getting nail-tastic manis and pedis whilst sipping champagne and eating strawberries...what could be better?!  I suppose that being dropped off and picked up in a friend's convertible Bentley didn't exactly dampen the extravagance!  Talk about travelling in style.  Driving through London with the top down was amazing; it felt like we were film stars!

I decided that the day before my wedding I wanted to ensure that I was as relaxed as possible.  It was only the two of us staying in a hotel near to the venue which meant there was no family stress and no one asking me questions about whether I had remembered to do everything.  I was literally able to "chill" without worrying about anything.  A friend met us for a drink before my bridesmaid and I had dinner in the hotel restaurant.  The pair of us then retired to our room to watch chic flicks until it was time to get an early night's sleep and go to bed.  Unfortunately I didn't sleep particularly well due to having had an overactive brain during the night, but I was definitely rested and by 9.30am the next day my photographer was with me, as were my hairdresser and my mum.

The hours leading up to our Wedding were considerably different for my husband...

The day before, he spent an enjoyable afternoon having lunch with his parents and sisters.  The evening was spent with some friends having a couple of drinks and playing snooker...again, very enjoyable.  As I was staying in a hotel for the night, he decided to stay at his parent's house...unfortunately this is where his sleep depravation, stress and a little mayhem began!  One of his sister's was due to give birth at any given point around the date of our wedding.  My husband came home from playing snooker at around 1am (not a good idea if you're supposed to be getting a good night's sleep!) so didn't get to bed particularly early.  After only a couple of hours in bed, he was awoken by the house phone.  His sister had gone into labour!  As their daughter was still tucked up in bed asleep, they needed someone to go to their house to look after her.  This, under normal circumstances, would all be very straight forward.  Unfortunately, however, my husband's mother somehow locked herself INSIDE his sister's house!  Sadly, instead of having a lie in, relaxing, enjoying the morning of our wedding day, my husband had a 30 minute drive to (and then from) his sister's house, had to climb in a downstairs window, and then apparently proceeded to spend 20 minutes breaking the front door open from the inside!!!  All of this took place well before 9am...

The moral of the story?  It doesn't matter how well you plan things and how well organised you are.  Sometimes things happen that are completely beyond your control.  Go with the flow.  See the funny side.  My husband was exhausted on our wedding day, but he still had enough time in the morning to have a drink with his ushers and best man in the garden before being driven in a Bentley to our wedding venue.  He still got there on time, and we still got married and had an incredible day.  Was it frustrating that he hadn't sleep well and hadn't relaxed during all of this madness?  Of course it was!  No one in their right mind would plan to have any of that happen!  Ultimately though, it didn't change a thing.  Now it's just a ridiculous story to tell about how my mother-in-law managed to lock herself inside a house!

No comments:

Post a Comment