Monday 12 December 2011

The Post Wedding Blues - How To Beat Them!



At the weekend I went to a lovely winter wedding at Brocket Hall.  It was beautifully festive with Christmas decorations and even a firework display across the lake late in the evening.  I had a fantastic time and my feet are still in agony two days later after having danced the night away!  

The day before the wedding, I decided to get my hair done; I can't think of a better excuse to pamper yourself than an invitation to a wedding!  Now, considering that I got married earlier in the year, I hadn't really done anything interesting to my hair in quite a long time; well over a year really.  It looked nice, but I was beginning to get rather bored with it.  I like to experiment every now and then, and haven't had the opportunity to do so in a while.  It's fun to shock people...in a nice way of course!  Well, I definitely did that.  I had most of my hair chopped off, went from my natural dark blonde to...deep purple!  I have had some incredibly positive feedback and my husband was over the moon that I'd been so daring!  
The Before & After Shot!

When people at the wedding commented, the most frequently asked question was "what made you decide to do something so different?"  The only answer I could come up with was that it was my way of rebelling after our wedding because I hadn't been able to do anything other than grow my hair for the last 18 months.  This suddenly made me realise that up until recently, my whole life had revolved around our wedding.  Was my new hairstyle my way of injecting something interesting into my new life?  After all, there don't appear to be any huge events on my horizon for me to look forward to now.    Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy and a lot less stressed now I don't have to constantly think about my wedding day...it's almost a weight off of my shoulders!  Though it has made me wonder, how many brides and grooms are suffering from the "post wedding blues"?

Realistically it isn't hard to believe that a lot of people might suffer from feeling a bit down after their wedding has been and gone.  We get engaged and then for the entire time leading up to the wedding, that special day is constantly on our minds!  Even if you're not someone who panics about it, you're still aware that you want your hair to look good, to have radiant skin, to be slim and just generally blow people away with how amazing you are in your wedding dress...or suit!  Personally, I had never in my life put so much thought into beauty regimes before; I didn't even use face cream until my bridesmaid told me off 6 months before our wedding!!!  I'm sure for some people, one question keeps sliding through their minds...so now that I'm married what do I have to look forward to?  The answer?  Thousands of things!

A few ideas to prevent the post wedding blues!
1)  Enjoy your first Christmas as a married couple.  You've probably had a rather hectic year and this may even be the first time since your honeymoon that you've really had time to enjoy each other's company.  Spoil one another and consider starting your own traditions!
2)  Get yourself a new haircut!  A new style always cheers you up.  I'm not suggesting you do something quite as drastic as I've done but still, it's nice to be pampered!
3)  Schedule in some quality time with your closest friends.  Maybe a gorgeously plush lunch and some cocktails, a shopping spree or even a day at a spa.  Have some "you" time and surround yourself with those friends that make you feel great about yourself.
4)  Exercise.  Firstly, exercising releases endorphins in your brain which makes you feel positive.  Secondly, it's good for your health.  Thirdly, just because you don't have a super fab dress to fit into doesn't mean that you don't want to look absolutely stunning as often as you can.  You probably put a huge amount of effort into getting trim for your wedding day so why let it all go to waste just because that day has passed?  Get the balance right though as you don't want to starve yourself!
5)  Make sure you and your beautiful new husband/wife get some quality date time.  Yes you're married, but it doesn't mean that all that romance needs to disappear.  It's lovely to surprise one another, to go to the cinema or theatre, out for meals or even a walk in the park.  It doesn't have to be expensive, it's just important to spend quality time together.

For any of you reading this who are feeling a little bit down in the dumps, I hope this has helped and I'd love to know how you have coped with your post wedding blues...

2 comments:

  1. Wendy your hair looks amazing! This is coming from a girl who's just come home with a box of purple hair dye in her bag...

    And the post-wedding advice is great too. I've heard there's a book being written on the subject - it affects a lot of women out there. Well done for putting those fab suggestions forward!

    Claire (English Wedding - it won't let me post the link here)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I hope to see a photo of your purple hair once you've dyed it!

    I can imagine that there are a lot of women, especially those who have dreamt of their wedding day since an early age, who feel extremely deflated once it's passed by. They should be seeing it as a positive thing as it's a brand new chapter in their lives, rather than something that is over and will never happen again.

    Wendy
    xXx

    ReplyDelete